Friday, March 15, 2013

Recipe: Guacamole

Who doesn't love some fresh homemade guacamole? I made some today and it was delicious! Onto recipe.

I bought this guacamole kit at Trader Joe's for $3.49. I'm not one for kits, but their loose avocados were not as ripe. I guess its a trick to get you to buy the kit. The kit comes with two large avocados, one onion, one tomato, one jalapeno, one clove of garlic and one lime.
Check out how perfectly ripe!

Ingredients:
1 large ripe avocado
1/2 red onion, chopped
1/2 jalapeno, chopped
1/2 lime, juiced
1 garlic clove, grated
Few bunches of cilantro, chopped (didn't come in kit)
Salt
Pepper


After pitting the avocado, I scooped out the flesh with a spoon. There is an entire post here on how to cut and peel an avocado. I added chopped onion, jalapeno, grated garlic, lime juice,cilantro, salt and pepper and mixed it well with a fork. If the avocado is ripe, all you need is a fork. There is something relaxing about mashing soft, soft avocado. I scraped leftover flesh from the peel and smeared on my face. I hear it works as a stellar hydrating mask.
And voila! For me, the magic ingredient is the grated garlic. I must have been italian in a previous life because I love my garlic (especially raw). Overall, all the ingredients blend together so harmoniously, its like a marriage of flavors. I've heard of people adding things like sriracha sauce, red chilli flakes, sour cream and what not. I tried to keep it simple.
I served the guacamole with these restaurant style white corn tortilla chips. Lightly salted and not too oily, truly restaurant style.

Healthy and delicious! But the winning part was that the chips withstood the weight of the guac! Hubby was ecstatic to find this laid out on the coffee table after coming home from work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment