Sunday, March 24, 2013

Club sandwich with a twist


All those of us who have spent considerable amount of time in Bangladesh or any of the GCC countries such as Dubai, Oman, etc. would probably know what a club sandwich is. Club sandwiches  is traditionally suppposed to consist of turkey, bacon, lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise. Now obviously I never had that version, the one I had in Oman were usually with roast beef and chicken and maybe sometimes even an egg was thrown in there. So recently I went on a whim and decided to make a sandwich similar to that and it ended up tasting somewhat like a club sandwich. So here's how I made it.

Ingredients (For 2):
6 slices bread
2 eggs
2 Hebrew National beef franks
1 beefsteak tomato, sliced
1 cucumber, sliced
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 tsp honey
1 tsp paprika
Salt
Pepper
Oil


 First, I just cracked two eggs in a bowl, added salt, pepper, whisked lightly and fried them. I then sliced the beef frank as thinly as possible and fried them until slightly crispy.
I sliced cucumbers and tomatoes and set everything aside. My hubby doesn't like raw tomatoes and hence its separation from rest of the ingredients.

 For dressing, I added a little honey and cayenne to mayonnaise and jazzed it up a little. Believe me, sweetness from the honey, combined with the saltiness from the beef franks just does it- for me at least.
Then I just slightly toasted the slices of bread. I used this protein bread which is made of sprouted wheat berries, corn and oats. I guess that lessens the guilt a bit.

 I then spread the honey mayonnaise on all the slices of bread and followed with rest of the ingredients, trying to lay them as flat as possible to avoid spillage. Then just press together tightly, and cut diagonally. A good knife really results in a cleaner cut of the triangles.

Slightly salty, slightly sweet, the cucumber brings in that freshness and the egg makes it merry.They were so, so, soooo good.

No comments:

Post a Comment