Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Mexican dinner at home

A few nights ago, I was craving some Chipotle (a mexican restaurant). My hubby introduced me to the chipotle burrito bowl many years ago and till date we love it. So, instead of taking the easy route, I decided to get a few ingredients and whip up something similar myself.

That's not all the ingredients, just a snapshot of the main few.

Filling Ingredients:
4 chicken tenders
4 tsp taco seasoning mix
1/2 tsp
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup boiled sweetcorn
1/2 large onion, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
1 cucumber, chopped
Bag butter lettuce
2 cups guacamole (homemade)
1 cup salsa (store-bought)
Salt
Pepper


Cilantro Lime Rice ingredients:
3 cups cooked rice
1 dried red chilly
2 tsp cilantro, chopped super fine
1/2 tsp lime juice
1 tsp salt

For the chicken tenders, steps are as follows:




Wash chicken tenders, pat dry and marinate chicken tenders in taco seasoning mix. As you can see, the taco seasoning mix pretty much has everything you need. I did add some garlic powder and soy sauce to make it a little more juicy. I left it overnight in the fridge.

I pan-fried the chicken tenders, making sure not too overcook, as that's how they become rubbery and lose all juiciness. Once done, cool them to seal in moisture, cut into strips and set aside.

For the cilantro lime rice, add oil to a fry pan. Add the dried red chilly, let it singe briefly and then add the cold rice. Add the finely chopped cilantro and salt and stir everything well. Finish with the lime juice.

Clockwise from left, brown rice tortillas, fresh-made guacamole, drained and rinsed canned black beans, boiled sweetcorn, chopped onion, butter lettuce, chopped chicken tenders, tomatoes, cucumbers and cilantro lime rice. I probably should have chopped the chicken tenders a bit thinner, but I left em chunky because I was too hungry and couldn't wait.

The picture's missing salsa. I used Trader Joe's Salsa Authentica. Its preservative-free and tastes pretty great. I promise to make my own salsa the next time.


After plating everything--It tasted better than it looked.

I made mine a wrap using brown rice tortilla. I warmed the tortilla before because this gluten-free tortilla is a bit tough as is.
Clearly I forgot the sour cream and cheese, but oh well, this was my first attempt and overall, it was tasty,filling and healthy. Must do this more often. 

No comments:

Post a Comment