Thursday, May 23, 2013

Europhile


I grew up in Muscat, Oman. If you know a little bit about politics, you will know that Oman has long-standing political and military ties with the United Kingdom and the United States. In the retail marekt, Oman has always been heavily influenced by UK and the Europe. I grew up eating Lurpak Butter (which is made in Germany) and also used suncreams and waterbottles made either in Germany or England. For europhiles out there, you will know that european grocery items are quite different from its american counterparts. Let's take butter for example. In the US, you get 4 sticks of butter in a carton, which upon revealing, are like white sticks with more moisture than anything else and a serious lack of flavor. European style butter isn't like that. Its richer in taste and has less water and more butterfat%. Moving on, I found this Kerrygold Irish butter at Trader Joes for $2.99 and thought of giving it a try. What a big difference! However, to side with American butter, a lot of recipes, desserts in particular, turn out better with american style butter. For example, cookies made with american style butter will turn out chewy and if made with european style butter will turn crispy. And you know we like our cookies chewy and not crispy. 
Moving on... this butter, it actually tastes like butter! The butter I had growing up. I got the salted kind because I love me some salted butter on bread (sprinkled with some sugar). It is sinful but it is delicious. I don't eat butter on its own too often but when I do, I want to eat something like this. Something that reminds me of home.
 As you can see, it says Product of Ireland. Not to diss American butters, but there are lot of companies in the US that churn butter european style. I found quite a selection at Whole Foods but I opted for this as the price tag was friendly.
Look at the golden, yellow goodness. Another rant I have is about American eggs...even the organic ones have that lackluster yolk with absolutely no flavor. I am not blaming the American food industry, I guess they are trying to keep up with the burgeoning population. I am used to eggs with a dark orange yolk which is very thick in texture. When I was a kid, my mom used to bake these butter cakes with these eggs and man, I haven't had a cake like that ever since. I've researched that to buy farm fresh eggs here in the US (the ones with the orange yolks) you have to give an arm and a leg. I guess I'll just have to do with these mass-produced organic eggs :(. Still happy about finding this butter. Every time I open my fridge, I look at this butter and pat it a little, as if I've found a long lost friend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment