Thursday, June 20, 2013

We be juicing!

So the hub and I decided to get a juicer. We were torn between a centrifugal and masticating juicer. The former is much faster where you can feed whole fruits and vegetables through a large chute while the latter is a very slow one where the fruit and veggies have to chopped to feed through the small chute. However, quality wise, masticating juicers produce a much nutrient rich juice as there is low oxidation to the low revolutions per minute while centrifugal juicers produce a much more oxidized juice to the high speed. We settled on a masticating juicer. The Omega J8004. Made in Korea, this juicer seems like one of the best of its kind. We've had it for over two weeks now and so far, we've been juicing everyday! We are not replacing meals with juices yet, but I have been trying to start my day out with a glass of juice. So today I am going to share one of our most favorite juice recipes.

Beet Medley

1 beet
4 carrots
1 apple
1 navel orange
3 stalks celery

Not all our produce is organic so we rinse everything in a bowl of cold water, with a few drops of vinegar. Except for the carrots, everything else is conventional (meaning non-organic). Juicing requires quite a bit of produce and using everything organic can get quite expensive. The one off occasions when we do juice all organic, I  enjoy the part where I don't have to peel everything and rinse everything extra well. The next pictures are pretty much self-explanatory.

 I bore easily, so must watch some Family Guy on Netflix while juicing!





 The jar is for hubby to take to work, the mug is mine for now. I already chugged a little before taking the pic. See, it is just that irresistable! But I must say, the yield is mighty good! They threw in a strainer to strain your juice, however I prefer it a bit pulpy.

No comments:

Post a Comment